YouTube Shorts Monetization Rules 2023: A Step-by-Step Guide
Step 1: Eligibility Requirements
To monetize your YouTube Shorts, you need to meet certain eligibility requirements set by YouTube. These requirements include:
- Your YouTube channel must be part of the YouTube Partner Program: Joining the YouTube Partner Program allows you to access monetization features across YouTube, including Shorts.
- Your channel must comply with all YouTube's policies and guidelines: Ensure that your channel adheres to YouTube's community guidelines, copyright policies, and any other applicable policies. Avoid any violations or infringements that may result in your channel being ineligible for monetization.
- You need to have at least 1,000 subscribers on your YouTube channel: Focus on growing your subscriber base through engaging content, collaborations, and promotion.
- Your Shorts must have received at least 4,000 public watch hours within the past 12 months: Create compelling Shorts that resonate with your audience and encourage them to watch and engage with your content.
- You must be located in a region where YouTube Shorts monetization is available: Check if your country is included in the list of regions where Shorts monetization is currently enabled.
Step 2: Join the YouTube Partner Program
- Sign in to your YouTube account and go to YouTube Studio: Access YouTube Studio by clicking on your profile picture in the top-right corner and selecting "YouTube Studio" from the dropdown menu.
- Click on "Monetization" in the left-hand menu: Navigate to the "Monetization" tab to view the monetization settings for your channel.
- Review and accept the terms of the YouTube Partner Program: Take the time to read through the terms and conditions of the program. Once you agree to them, you can proceed with the application process.
- Set up an AdSense account (if you don't have one) to receive payments: If you don't have an AdSense account associated with your YouTube channel, you will need to create one. AdSense is the platform through which you receive your monetization earnings.
Step 3: Enable Monetization for Shorts
- Once you have joined the YouTube Partner Program, you need to enable monetization specifically for Shorts. Here's how:
- Go to YouTube Studio and click on "Shorts" in the left-hand menu: In the YouTube Studio dashboard, you will find the "Shorts" tab. Click on it to access the Shorts settings.
- Click on "Get Started" to enable Shorts monetization: YouTube will guide you through the process of enabling monetization for Shorts. Review the information provided and follow the instructions to proceed.
- Review the monetization terms and click on "Enable" to proceed: Carefully read through the monetization terms for Shorts. Make sure you understand and agree to the terms before enabling monetization.
Step 4: Comply with Monetization Policies
- Your Shorts must meet YouTube's community guidelines and copyright policies: Create content that is safe, respectful, and compliant with YouTube's guidelines. Avoid any content that promotes violence, harassment, hate speech, or contains explicit or inappropriate material. Additionally, respect copyright laws and ensure you have the necessary rights to use any music, images, or videos in your Shorts.
- Avoid using misleading metadata, clickbait, or any form of deceptive practices: Provide accurate and relevant titles, descriptions, and tags for your Shorts. Avoid using clickbait tactics or engaging in any misleading practices that may deceive viewers.
- Your Shorts should not contain harmful or dangerous content: Do not create or promote content that encourages or showcases dangerous activities, self-harm, or any form of harmful behavior.
- Respect copyright and ensure you have the necessary rights to use any music, images, or videos in your Shorts: Use copyright-free or properly licensed content in your Shorts to avoid copyright infringement issues. YouTube provides a library of copyright-free audio and video content that you can use in your Shorts.